Are you going to be examined for discovery in a car accident case in Ontario? Here are some topics you will likely be asked about by the lawyer for the at fault driver’s insurance company:
- Your name
- Marital / Family Status
- The layout of your home
- Number of bedrooms
- Number of bathrooms
- Size of your lot
- Number of stairs
- Location of the laundry
- Number and size of gardens
- Who cleaned the house before the accident
- Who cleans the house after the accident
- Details about any limitations in housekeeping and home maintenance
- Head to toe, identify all the body parts that were hurt in the accident
- Details about the prognosis of each injury
- Details about how each injury has improved or not since the accident
- Details about what medical professionals have said about the injuries
- Any planned surgeries
- Details of any psychological / emotional injuries
- Steps you have taken to get better
- All therapies under taken
- Medications since the accident
- Specialists seen since the accident and what they have said
- Description of the pain experienced since the accident
- Details about the vehicle you were in / bike you were on
- Where were you going?
- What route did you take?
- Were you familiar with the route?
- Were you distracted in the vehicle?
- Were you wearing your seatbelt?
- When did you first see the other vehicle?
- What did you see?
- What did you do?
- What part of your body made contact with the inside of the car, if any?
- Did you hit your head?
- How far did your car move at impact?
- Speed at impact?
- Details about lighting, weather, visibility, road condition
- Damage to the vehicles
- Statements given to police
- On site first aid received
Loss of Income / Loss of Competitive Advantage
- Details about your employment history over past 10 years
- Job at the time of the accident, including duties, physical requirements, salary, benefits, performance review, raise history
- Time lost from work after the accident
- Details of return to work
- Description of any current limitations at work
While this is not a comprehensive list, being able to answer these questions confidently and accurately will take you a long way in your discovery preparation.
For more information about the steps in a personal injury law suit, contact a personal injury lawyer at Auger Hollingsworth at 613 233-4529.