Unconscious at the Accident Scene?

If you have suffered any type of car accident, a recurring quesion by the insurance company and your medical team will be about whether or not you were unconscious at the accident scene.  There are certainly many reasons from a medical standpoint why this is very important to know.

From a legal perspective,  if you are unconscious at the accident scene, or in a period of time close to the accident, you may qualify for a higher level of accident benefits.

If you have a Glasgow Coma Scale of 9 or below that is documented by the paramedics or other medical professionals, your accident may be termed “catastrophic”.  People who suffer catastrophic injuries are entitled to a higher level of accident benefits.  Glasgow Coma Scale is also referred to as “GCS”.

For example, your medical / rehabilitation benefits increase from $50,000 to $1 Million.  Plus, they don’t expire after 10 years.  You will also be entitled to the services of a case manager to co-ordinate your rehabilitation.

If you or a loved one has suffered a serious accident where you were unconscious at the scene of the accident or shortly after, Brenda will help you access this higher level of funding to facilitate the best recovery possible.

Call Brenda at 613 860-4529 (office) or 613 851-4529 (cell).  We make home and hospital visits.

Fatal Car Accident near Carleton Place

A fatal car accident near Carleton Place on March 28, 2013 at 8:45 pm has claimed two lives.

The Beckwith Township accident took place on Old Richmond Road near Crooked Side Road.  The collision involved a pick up truck and a small sedan.  Tragically, two occupants of the sedan, both in their very early 20s, died at the scene.

A 21 year old passenger in the sedan has serious orthopedic injuries as well as head injuries.

Several of the occupants of the pick up truck are also seriously injured.

This is a devastating start to the Easter weekend for all families involved.

What are your options after a serious car accident?

Everyone involved in this heartbreaking accident near Carleton Place should consult with a personal injury lawyer.   The questions you should ask the lawyer are:

  • Am I entitled to accident benefits and what will they cover?  Most people in Ontario are entitled to coverage for medical and rehabilitation needs and income replacement if they have been injured in a car accident.  This is true regardless of who caused the accident.
  • Do I have a claim for pain and suffering, loss of income and future care costs? Passengers of either vehicle, as well as the driver who is not at fault for the accident, may have a claim against the at fault driver’s insurance company.  An experienced personal injury lawyer can tell you what your rights are and explain the likelihood of success in a claim for compensation.
  • Is there compensation for the families of the young people who died in the accident? There are death benefits, including help with funeral costs,  available through the accident benefits in most situations.  It is also possible to bring a claim for the loss of care, guidance and companionship of your loved one.  A personal injury lawyer can help you determine what your options are. 

Brenda Hollingsworth helps families after serious tragedies like Thursday’s accident in Carleton Place.  We will come to the hospital or your home to answer your questions, with no obligation at all.  Call Brenda at 613 233-4529 or on her cell at 613 851-4529. 

Brenda Hollingsworth on CTV Morning Live

Ottawa personal injury lawyer Brenda Hollingsworth was interviewed today on CTV Morning Live.  Brenda was talking about the types of injury cases where there may be compensation available.

Check out the videos here:  Episode 1Episode 2Episode 3.

For more information about the steps to take after a serious personal injury, call 613 860-4529.